Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Long Overdue

My classes have ended, my semester is over, and a blog of mine is long, long overdue. I have started many projects here at the blog that have gone unfinished, and for that I apologize. What I hope to accomplish, in what is near a month until I have to go back to school is keep it updated.
The reason for my lack of blogging, also has a lot to do with a lack of inspiration since WWE’s product has been somewhat stale of late, however after watching TLC this past Sunday, and seeing Daniel Bryan win the World Heavyweight Championship, CM Punk retain his championship despite being handcuffed twice, and Zack Ryder finally getting his shot, and having what was a pretty decent match with Dolph Ziggler, all during a PPV free of John Cena, I am once again inspired.
I watched RAW this past night, and witnessed something I could have never imagined, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan- Brian Danielson, standing in a WWE ring, as the two top champions in WWE. Not to mention Zack Ryder, an internet star, not just any internet star-the internet champion, as the United States Champion, it was pretty surreal.
CM Punk and Daniel Bryan as the WWE Champion, and World Heavyweight Champion, respectively, brings me back to a time where Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit; or as WWE refers to him “          “ ; reigned as champions.
Some of the highlights over the past couple of weeks, for me, have been the building of Dolph Ziggler, and giving him a chance to shine, week after week he has the best match, and makes whoever he is working with look as if they are the best in the world. Not only is that, but the build of his character is fun to watch.
My favorite part of Z! TLIS every week is his hacking of the show, and I find myself hating the shows, he does not hack. His character has become one of the best heels going, and I wish he could cut the type of promos he cuts on Z!TLIS on TV. #HEEL
 I am a different type of Smark, I look for someone who can wrestle, cut a promo, and has a good character, heel or face. Heel characters often are better, but if a wrestler can wrestle but can’t cut a promo, I don’t really care about them, hence why I don’t like Del Rio, and why I love Ryder, because to me the art of wrestling lies in being able to accomplish both.
Another thing I’ve liked is Mark Henry’s build up, and persona, and feud with the Big Show. The Booker T/Cody Rhodes angle seems very forced, and I don’t see Booker T just loosing, but the only possible reason for this angle should be to put over Rhodes? Right?
I like how they are finally using Zack Ryder, and it seems like they are ready to push him to the moon, but strangely I felt like the best outcome of Ryder winning the US Title, is Ziggler now being able to challenge for the WWE Championship. Ziggler/Punk would to me, provide a better feud than Punk/Miz or Punk/Del Rio, and obviously better matches. It brought me back to Bret Hart dropping the Intercontinental Title to Davey Boy, and it being more of Hart’s moment, than Davey Boy’s.

So many stars are catching fire, so quickly that I feel it’s time to start a third brand. Imagine a third brand, with its own World Championship, and secondary championship, and a spot for low/mid carders to get over. Right now with RAW Supershow, the spots some of those types of talents would have gotten, are going to put over SmackDown storylines, and maybe, just maybe with a third brand, we could find everyone’s long lost cousin, Brodus Clay.
Speaking of lost cousins, I feel like right now, creative has nothing for John Cena, until WrestleMania. (I may have just won a Slammy for Worst Segway of the Year). So they decide to have Kane hand him his ass, which I like, although their attempt to build Kane as a super heel by beating the crap out of John Cena, might end up making him the biggest face going….
If you’ve read my blog, or know anything about wrestling fans, you know that me as a wrestling fan hates TNA. However, I have been surprised of late of how TNA is finally progressing-knock on Hacksaw’s 2x4-with some of their storylines. TNA’s problem, just like WCW’s, was the lack of ability to build new stars, however TNA has turned arguably their most over act, Beer Money, into a very over baby face in James Storm, and a hated heel in Robert Roode. Then having the sense to not feud them immediately, having Storm get, hopefully, put over by Kurt Angle, and Roode make himself with AJ Styles.
I for one loved the finish of the Iron Man match; it made Roode look like the biggest jackass in TNA, and pissed everyone off, which was perfect. When Roode and Storm are done being put over, they will finally have their big feud, which should be a huge draw for TNA if done correctly, and Beer Money, could end up with no Jannetty.
So this brief recap of recent events brings me to what I witnessed Monday, with one of the most awesome moments since Money in the Bank, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk and Zack Ryder holding prominent WWE Championships. Even more awesome than RAW was the night previous. I can’t recall marking out hard, multiple times in a night, and I marked out hard a lot during TLC.
I marked out for Vickie being thrown out at ringside, number one because I called it, and number two because I knew that they don’t do the manager being thrown out spot unless the heel is going to lose. Then I marked out again for the Rough Ryder, and again when the ref counted to three.
I had already marked out, a lot, so one could imagine how hard I marked out when Daniel Bryan’s music hit. Then I marked out again when the bell rang, and it became official, and then once again when the ref counted the three. I was marking hard because I had a feeling that would happen; I was hoping for a Bryan heel turn, with Bryan almost turning on the man that was trying to help him, in the big show, but no one could hate on Bryan for what he did, even the simplest of marks.  
I thought I had marked out enough of one night, but I was wrong. I didn’t quite mark out during the Triple H/Nash match, but I did enjoy the spot toward the end of the match where Nash tries to hold up the Kliq sign, and Triple H gives him the DX Crotch Chop. I didn’t understand what the deal was with Cody Rhodes and Booker T, they were having the match, then they weren’t, then they were, it made no sense, like they were building for a match, when they already had one?
In the main event, I found myself marking out once again. I marked out for the Ricardo Rodriguez table spot, because I love his character, and that spot was sick. I marked out again, each time Punk escaped the handcuffs. They made CM Punk look like a straight bad ass, by escaping not once but twice. I loved the fact they put over, that usually one would need a tool to get the turnbuckle off, but Punk did it with his bare hands. And of course, I marked out when Punk grabbed the title, and he had retained. I marked out for him winning, but I marked out for what it meant. It meant that Punk will have a long run as champion, that finally John Cena is out of the WWE Championship, picture for now at least, and that times are changing in WWE, or so it seems, that wrestling matters in WWE, and that I am glad to be a fan right now, of something that has so much potential. CM Punk tweeted a picture of all of the current WWE Title holders; CM Punk as the WWE Champion, Daniel Bryan as the World Heavyweight Champion, Zack Ryder as the United States Champion, Cody Rhodes as the Intercontinental Champion, Air Boom as the Tag Team Champions, and Beth Phoenix as the Diva’s Champion; with the picture he wrote “If you can't get behind this, you will be left behind.” That statement is dead on.


1 comment:

  1. Hey hon. Glad your semester is finally over. I totally agree with what you said. I told my brother Ryder won the belt and he said he will actually start watching again. He obviously is saying what everyone else has been saying. I was also happy with Bryan winning the title as well. I laughed with what they are doing with Kane. He is suppose to be resurrected and the ultimate heel, but given how most feel about Cena, he is a face. I don't hate Cena, but he is way overdue for a change. Love that tweet, thank you for sharing that, it is so true. Great post hon, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete