Tuesday, July 12, 2011

WWE Ice Cream Bars

A strange vibe was surrounding Raw tonight, as I watched; a vibe that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

All day, I anxiously awaited both The Home Run Derbey, and WWE Raw, knowing that I had my trusty DVR ready to record both programs, that way I didn't miss a bit of either show.

The Home Run Derby, of course, began an hour earlier than Raw, and so I watched the Derby unfold, texting updates to a friend of mine that I usually watch the Derby with every year, but this year had to work.

As much of a wrestling fan I am, I am also a big, big, baseball fan.

Anyway, as I watched the Derby, which always ends up being much more boring than I anticipate, and as I watched the clock, waiting for Raw to begin; because I had a feeling the show would start with CM Punk; something horrible happened....

My cable went out.....

On a night I needed cable more than any other, the go-home show for MITB, the Home Run Derby, my cable went out. Frantically, I scrambled to figure out why, and rectify it as soon as possible, nothing seemed to work. Finally at about a quarter after, my cable came back, but my DVR had shut off in the fracas...

I missed CM Punk's promo to begin the show, and as I tuned in, Cena was beating the New Nexus in a handicapped match. I had a feeling the show would continue to go downhill from here.

I watched the rest of Raw, and it had a very strange vibe to it. Lines seemed like they were being flubbed by almost everyone, there was some sort of running gag that Vince had bad breath. They did the whole everyone in the MITB match would cut a small promo, which then turned into a match that inexplicably did not have Del Rio or Mysterio, only to end with Del Rio doing a nonsenscial run-in, beating everyone down with ladders.

The divas had another 5star match, which had the Bella's doing commentary, and then bullying Kelly Kelly after. The Big Show faced Ziggler, and McIntyre in a handicapped match, which ended with Henry attacking Big Show and a double count-out they never announced.

Finally, in the closing segment, it was time for the Punk/Vince Contract negotiation. Usually WWE segments run with impecable smoothness, and always seem to make sense, and contribute to the angle, unlike TNA segments, which are free for alls with no clear purpose, whatsoever.

Punk and Vince went back and fourth, with Punk coming off as the sort of heel, the fans love, a la Austin. Vince was coming off as the boss that was finally getting called out, and now had to answer to Punk, who was also coming off as a mega superstar that Vince couldn't afford to loose, and thus needed to keep despite his hatred for him, a la Austin again. They carried out a segment, that made Punk look unstoppable, and Vince look very uncomfortable. Punk came up with perks of his contract that were ridiculous, and hilarious , and Vince was so afraid to loose him, that he was ready to sign....

Then Derek Jeter, I mean Cena came to the ring. ....

He buried Punk, comparing him to the Rock, calling him the biggest hypocrite of all, and criticizing him for leaving the fans, the same fans that Punk had already stated he was leaving because of.....HUH?

It was as if the promo that started it all was forgotten?

This segment, had morphed into a TNA segment, it became nonsensical, confusing, and was seemingly all about making Cena look better.

Worst of all, all of the strength Punk had built up, with what he said to Vince, was squashed, when Cena comes out and says that they were both being immature....

Hulk Hogan, then came out and put over immortal, and announced Gunner Vs. Cena, in a career vs. hair match... No that didn't actually happen, but with how nonsensical it was coming off here, I wouldn't be surprised....

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, the segment ends with Punk comparing Cena and the city of Boston, to the Yankees, a dynasty. Which quite frankly, is a comparison, as a baseball fan, I have been making for awhile. But I digress, anyway Punk makes the comparison, and Cena punches him, as if to say "say what you want, but don't call me the Yankees" and Punk leaves the ring, grabs the contract from Vince, and declares that after Sunday, everyone can say goodbye to Cena, the WWE Title, and CM Punk, and rips apart the contract. 

A very awkward segment, Punk was built up huge, with his stuff with Vince, but once Cena came out, he basically forgot what Punk had been saying, put himself over for never leaving, and attempted to bury Punk.
I don't know what purpose was served with Cena doing that, maybe time will tell, or maybe they are blowing this like they blew the Nexus angle, and the Invasion angle...

-Mark X

No comments:

Post a Comment