Saturday, October 1, 2011

Now Hold Up Playa

In the past year, I'm not sure what I've watched less of, The Lifetime Network, Cinemax which I am not subscribed to, or WWE Smack Down.

Smack Down was my first foray in to wrestling, and it is a shame that rarely, if ever do I watch it.

The crazy thing about it is I can't quite put my finger on what exactly it is about Smack Down that makes me not care about it.

Is it the fact that it's on Fridays?

Is it the fact that I know what will happen three days in advance?

Is it the lackluster roster?

Is it the fact that it is blatantly the "B" show?

The truth is it is probably a mix of all of those things. Smack Down is WWE's "B" show; there is no doubt about it. There is a reason why the RAW main event on a WWE PPV, is always the last match to go on.
Take this past year’s WrestleMania, for example. Does anyone care about Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio? Or do they want to see the Miz vs. John Cena with involvement from the Rock?

Smack Down is taped on Tuesdays, for the few who didn't understand what Paul Heyman meant at One Night Stand, and who currently reside under a rock (Is that where parts unknown is?) and has always been the compliment show to RAW.
It was designed as a compliment show, and was very effective as that before the "Brand Extension". There were even rumors that the original concept for Smack Down, was to be a Diva’s show.

Having the stigma of a "compliment show" for so long has probably hurt its credibility as its own brand. Couple that with the fact that their "World Championship" is the old WCW Belt, and the fact that the "WWE Title" is a RAW championship.

Is this why Smack Down sucks? Or does it just suck?

The spoilers are often so bland that I never feel like tuning in. Often, I don't even bother to set my DVR to record it, unless of course, Zack Ryder’s name pops up somewhere in the spoiler. By contrast, I almost always DVR Raw, and never miss it.
Some weeks, I even watch TNA, and don’t miss Smack Down. I often ask myself why. Well, for one, TNA is available on Demand. Often, I tune in, and I am not sure what week’s episode it is. TNA literally has the same thing, every single week.
TNA spoilers are usually as bland as Smack Down’s, but sometimes there is something I read in a TNA spoiler, and think to myself, “Are they serious?” This causes me to tune in, and find out, that yes sadly they were serious. Ric Flair really is facing Sting, for the right to face Hogan, and no sadly, it is not 1995.
But does me watching TNA sometimes more often than SmackDown mean that I think Smack Down is worse than TNA?
No, silly you, nothing is worse than TNA.
Now Hold Up Playa…
Or is it? What do you think?
-Mark X





-MarkX

2 comments:

  1. I think if smackdown was live it be a lot better, nut since everyone knows what happens on Tuesday. lots of people don't watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would make it so much better. I remember the live Smack Down, a couple of weeks back, had such a Raw vibe to it. It was great.

    ReplyDelete