Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Birth of Markdem

It was a Thursday night, Thanksgiving actually, and as I flipped through the channels, I landed on one, one I had not seen before, one that caught my eye. I was nine years old at the time, and I knew that what I was watching was entertaining, not only was it entertaining, it was action packed as well.

I was watching the 1999 edition of Thanksgiving SmackDown, and I have been a fan ever since.

It started watching casually, then when I discovered that the same thing could be seen on Monday nights, I naturally tuned in.

Sometime later, I stumbled across a wrestling magazine at the local supermarket, but not just any magazine, it was a Pro Wrestling Illustrated.
 Inside I read all about everything that was going on in wrestling, but the most important thing I found inside was a listing of all Pro Wrestling television shows. Every week I would tune in to WCW, WWE, and ECW, I would hate the heels, and love the faces.

At Nine years old, I was a mark....


Soon, the shows weren't enough and I began reading all about wrestling on the internet, and discovered what are now known as "dirt sheets". I was an active member in the Internet Wrestling Community. I was a 10%er. I discovered a whole new love for something, I had already loved.

At Ten years old, I was a smark...

Since then I have continued to follow wrestling, read the "dirt sheets", attend Indy shows, follow WWE, and unfortunately for me, and anyone else with eyeballs, TNA.
However, through it all, I have kept it a secret. I've done this to avoid the stigma that is placed on someone who is a wrestling fan. The constant "you know its fake right" or "how can you watch that, it's all a show" are far too annoying to have to put up with.
 I like it, because it’s a show. I appreciate the showmanship, but most of all; I appreciate the athleticism coupled with the showmanship.

WWE and TNA’s current product, don’t do much to help out wrestling fan’s dealing with criticism.

However, after ordering the ROH I-PPV; Best in the World 2011, and witnessing the history C.M. Punk made on RAW, only a night later, I felt it was time.
 I felt that maybe, just maybe, wrestling could be cool again. I had to once again, share my opinions, and thoughts with that glorious 10% that Eric Bischoff hates, the Internet Wrestling Community.

So, here I am. I will vent, I will complain, I will criticize, but through it all, I am a fan, in secrecy.

-Mark X

No comments:

Post a Comment